The history of Holmegaard glassworks began in 1823, when Count Christian Danneskiold-Samsøe sought permission from the King of Denmark to establish a
The Count died in 1823 without receiving an answer to his request, but his dowager, Countess Henriette Danneskiold-Samsøe, decided to pursue the project when, shortly after the death of her husband, she received permission from the King to establish a glassworks.
Initial production at Holmegaard glassworks began in 1825. Early on, the factory produced only green bottles, but Henriette also wanted to produce clear glass tumblers, which the Bohemian glassblowers were able to manufacture.
The history of Holmegaard glassworks is a story of a few small glassworks in a peat bog, growing to become part of a large modern group over a period of 175 years.
A lot has happened since production at Holmegaard glassworks first began.
Holmegaard always managed to stay at the cutting edge, while appealing to contemporary trends – down through generations.
During the 20th century, artists entered the equation, designing and shaping Holmegaard’s glass products. This was the start of a long and proud tradition, and as a result, some of the best artists in Denmark are associated with Holmegaard’s glass production
Today, Holmegaard is both classic and modern – and still share Henriette’s focus: to create glass with heart and soul, and integrity.