The history of Fritz Hansen begins in 1872, where cabinet-maker Fritz Hansen from Nakskov obtains a trade license in Copenhagen. In 1885 he starts a furniture production company of his own and within two years manages to establish a flourishing workshop - in central Copenhagen – where quality is already a priority.
Early on in the century, the forward-looking Christian E. Hansen, son of Fritz Hansen, starts to experiment with steam bending beech. In the Thirties, the technique is so refined that Fritz Hansen is among the world leaders in the field, which later evolves into the firm’s specialty: Furniture created in laminate wood.
Fritz Hansen will work with many famous designers over the years such as Verner Panton, Vico Magistretti, Alfred Homan, the list is impressive.
Arne Jacobsen totally dominates the Fifties at Fritz Hansen with the Ant™ chair, the Series 7™, the Egg™ and the Swan™ and the series 3300™ just adds to the myth. Verner Panton also appears on the scene with the Bachelor chairs.
In 1979 the 107 year old firm, is bought from the Hansen Family by Skandinavisk Holding.
Through substantial investments (acquisition of the minimalistic Kjærholm Collection, the KEVI collections and Munch Møbler) and thorough reconstruction work the new owner, Skandinavisk Holding, succeeds in strengthening Fritz Hansen and preparing the old company for the future.
In 2000, the introduction of the concept Republic of Fritz Hansen™ marks a change in strategy. The message is that furniture from the Republic of Fritz Hansen is an important part of the image of companies and private customers, who want to express their individuality and make a strong statement.